As most of you know we have several rental properties that I manage. One in particular seems to bring out San Angelo's "finest" rental applicants. It is a SMALL efficiency apartment, perfect for 1 person. Because the rent is less than most of the other properties I have I get lots of calls about the apartment. For every 1 "qualified" applicant I get at least 5 "you have to be kidding me" applications. Just thought I would make you laugh with some of the things I have been told/asked this week.
Sunday- Woman calls to see apartment and I "pre-screen" and set up appointment. On the phone she is super nice and has had the same job for 5 years. We show up at the apartment to meet her and she comes with her suitcases and wants to know if she can go ahead and move in now. She doesn't have the money, but will get it to me on Friday when she gets paid. She tells me she had gotten behind on her rent and had been evicted. She has been homeless for "a couple of days". I really felt sorry for her, but I have learned VERIFY everything. I told her I would be happy to work with her if she would fill out the application so I could verify her employment, but I couldn't let her stay today. She took the application and left walking down the street. I got in the car and burst into tears, because I felt so sorry for her. I called my neighbor to get her opinion and I find out that her story might not be completely true. She is homeless, but has been that way for many years. My heart still hurts for her and I would have probably let her move in, if she would have just told the TRUTH!!!!
Monday- Phone call for father of a girl who is looking for a place of her own. Seems to be okay, perhaps this will work out. Talk to father at length and ask him to have his daughter call me so we can schedule an appointment. Girl calls and says it will be her and her husband (no husband mentioned earlier). I told her the apartment is just too small for 2 people and she aruges with me that it will be fine. Again I tell her that the apartment is just not designed for more then 1 person. She continues to argue and then tells me she has to find somewhere before the baby is born. Hello... 1 person...NOT 2... CERTAINLY NOT 3.
Tuesday- Call from a girl who is living with her sister and wants to get out on her own. Has good job history and rental history. Show her apartment and she likes it. I have explained that it is a "no pets" location. She then tells me she has a bird and wants to know if I consider that a pet. What should I consider it????
Wednesday- Call from a girl who is looking for apartment. She sounds young, but says she is in school and her parents will co-sign for her. When she arrives with her boyfriend (who I have already told no), I realize she is still in HIGH SCHOOL. She is incredible rude to me, because I told her I wouldn't rent to her. She then calls her mom and "tells on me". That is sure going to make me want to rent to you. NICE!!!!
Thursday- My favorite so far- lady calls and tells me she has always wanted to rent that apartment. She just "loves" how cute it is. She has worked for a local security service for 5 years. She sounds great!!! I'm actually looking forward to showing it to her. She said her husband is out of town and will be gone for several months. I assumed (I know) that he was probably military or oil field. I decided I would consider her since he wouldn't be there much. She comes to look with a friend and they like it. I begin to ask a few more questions about her husband... military? oil-field? She finally says, "long story short, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time". Turns out he is in (have you already guessed) JAIL... NICE!!! It was just a case of public intoxication (his first), but they have kept him for 3 months and they don't know when he will be released, could be Christmas or 2 years from now. (I don't know all the law, but I don't think you go to jail for 2 years for your first case of public intoxication).
What will today hold??? I can only thank all these people for keeping my life interesting.
Reality Check
1 year ago
2 comments:
Good grief and good luck! LOL!
Oh my goodness. I can only imagine.
Post a Comment