Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Red Barn Party




Isaac loves to read. Many nights I have to turn his light off and make him put his book down. He has earned over 200 AR points this school year (quite and accomplishment when you realize many books are worth 1 point or less). As a reward for his reading achievement he was invited to the Red Barn Party at his school. I was lucky enough to be asked to help. I had never been to a Red Barn Party, but it was a HOOT. Each child was given a menu with with 20 items and given instructions to order 5 items for each of the 4 courses. The menu items included things such as: hay maker, windmill soda, Popeye's girlfriend, etc. When we served the first course of the meal, many kids had ice cream and no utensils. It was so much fun to watch them try to figure out what to do. Other children got their utensils but no food. The kids really had a great time and afterwards were treated to an afternoon of bowling. I love that our school chooses to reward excellence in such fun ways.


No comments: