Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Activities

What in the world was I thinking when I planned today? This is the weekend of the big Christmas celebrations in our town. Last night hubby and I went to "The Nutcracker". It was a really nice evening out and something I would have never thought my husband would suggest, but he did and I am so glad. Today hubby is working (yuck) so the boys and I decided to hit a few of the local Christmas activities today.
We started with "Breakfast with an Angel" at our church. We have attended this 3 years and every year the boys can hardly wait. They love
to listen to the angel tell the Christmas story and see the live nativity. They also love to do the family craft. It is a great tradition that I hope we can continue for many more years. I am so thankful that they understand why we celebrate Christmas and don't just see it as a chance to ask for presents from a man in a red suit. However, we do love the man in the red suit, so we made a quick dash by the mall to visit with Santa. I decided after this that we would come home and rest (actually I think I am the only one who rested).
About 2:30 we decided to head downtown to the Christmas at the
Fort celebrations to meet a friend and her son. This has
long been a favorite of the boys. They
like to see the Soldiers and
Indians reenact life in the 1800's. This year we were around for the loading and firing of the cannons. The boys didn't really like the loud
noise, but I think they thought it was fun to watch them load the cannons. After almost 3 hours of walking around and the purchase of two wooden swords that I'm sure will cause major fights in our house, we decided to get some dinner and head home.
I had totally forgotten about the tree lighting ceremony and the parade. When the boys realized we were about to miss the parade they begged to stay, so we picked up sandwiches and had a picnic while waiting for the tree lighting and the parade. We didn't get home until nearly 8. No wonder my feet hurt. The boys are now tucked in bed with visions of parade floats dancing in their heads and I am headed to a long soak in a bubble bath. Hope you had a wonderful Saturday.

2 comments:

Momma said...

You're the world's best mom! Boy, your boys will have terrific memories of Christmas. I hope you had a great bubble bath-you earned it!

~B said...

Christmas at the Fort was fun. Thanks for being there for Cam when the Cowboy lassoed him. I have it on video.